BC Children’s Hospital Foundation Statistics
- More than 1,100 of the tiniest, most fragile newborns in the province are cared for annually.
- More than 840 youngsters receive active treatment for cancer every year.
- In 2012, more than 8,500 children required surgery of some sort.
- 52 percent of the 228 open-heart surgeries performed in 2012, were performed on patients younger than one year old.
- Surgeons clocked more than 13,502 hours in the operating rooms.
- More than 44,100 patients were seen in the 24-hour Emergency department – that’s 120 kids daily!
- 67 percent of patients seen every year come from outside of the City of Vancouver.
- The hospital received 212,000 visits from over 81,000 sick and injured children from across the province in 2012